Monday, February 21, 2011

Blog in Brief: Tell Me What You Really Think!

Photo by psyberartist.
I am a big supporter of compliments...honest compliments.  With my recent, dramatic, hair color change, I have been observing the various reactions people give upon seeing it for the first time.  I am pretty comfortable with how I feel about it, and am enjoying the various ways people tell me what they think.  Here are a few of my favorite responses:

1.  "Wow!  That is really dark!  I guess it will grow out."  This one was from my mother-in-law.  From her, it was perfect.  It was apparent by her comment as well as her facial expression while delivering it, she thought my new look horrendous. 

2.  "Wow!  You got your hair colored!  Do you like it?"  I am guessing these people think my hair looks so surprisingly bad there is no way I could like it.  If I told them how much I had paid to get it done they would likely crap themselves! Inherent in the question is the uncertainty of whether this was an intentional change or an accident gone horribly wrong.  To avoid accidentally complimenting my hair in the event that I am mortally embarrassed, they are checking in with me first, to help them decide which way they should go. 

For example, they could say "Yikes!  What happened to your hair?" and if I love it, face an awkward moment.  Or they could say "Oh! I love what you have done to your hair!" when I despise it.  This form of testing the compliment water, is a win win for everyone.

3.  "Wow your hair looks great!"  said while quickly glancing away.  This is an obvious lie. These people are "pleasers" by nature, and cannot avoid saying something positive regardless of their true feelings. As I become more observant to the various reactions, I grow more aware of those who are being honest and those are not. 

4.  "Oh!  You got your hair done!" and that's all they say.  These people are avoiding telling you what they really think.  If they liked it, they would just say so.  Since they can't tell you that, and aren't willing to lie like those in Number 3, they plead the 5th.  I realize these people do not like the new look, but it is so obvious I had it done, they can't elect to pretend they don't notice anything.

5.  "I really like your hair like that!"  These people are my favorite!  They obviously have wonderful taste!

No comments: