Friday, March 4, 2011

Fashion Reality: 7 Do-able Fashion Trends Spring 2011


Photo by TPWP
Clothes look better on skinny people.  This is a fact of life that I have finally come to terms with. One look I love is a snugly fitted, great pair of jeans (preferably lower rise), with a cool, over-sized belt.  I just think it is so sexy...until I try it.  My muffin-top all but obscures the be-dazzled belt buckle.  I realize I love this look on flat tummied women only. What's a big girl to do?  

As I continue my quest for improved fashion know-how and the mastery of the "effortless" look (you look great all the time and it is so well done, it looks like you didn't try, you just naturally always look great!), I have been perusing the fashion guru websites, noting what is  "in" for Spring 2011.  Not a natural fashion aficionado, I struggle with the absurdity of many of the "amazing" looks strutting the runway this season.  Most of these clothes look costume-like to me.  I am certain, were I to try and mimic these looks, my casual-wear dominated, mountain towns-folk, would raise more than an eyebrow at my passing. 

Fashion reality is finding realistically wearable styles that are appropriate for your budget, body-type and lifestyle.  Buying a Burberry purse for example seem obnoxious to me, especially their signature plaid ones.  I shall never own a Versace evening dress as I never go anywhere where that level of dress is remotely appropriate.  Random acts of fashionable pairings, that just scream "trend-setting" aren't even on my radar.

So how should the average woman shop this spring season?  Following is a list of 7 trends sweeping haute couture runways everywhere!  With a little self-awareness, every girl can find reasonable style with a dash of  trendy thrown in!

1.  Shorts:  In a 2011 fashion summary on Luxist.com they state "Everyone, and we mean everyone, showed shorts in their spring collections. Whether short and roomy at Badgley Mischka or long and blouse-y at Thakoon or almost Capri-length at Ralph Lauren, shorts are going to be the get for spring."  WTF?  It's like these people just woke up and realized wearing shorts was an option.  I've already got this one covered...my challenge will be in making sure I pick the right fit and cut for my pear-shaped booty.

Photo from Harpers Bazaar: Marc by Marc Jacobs


2.  Bold Colors:  Being a tom-boy and an autumn color leaning girl, dressing like a piece of candy is a little out of my comfort zone.  Not quite neon (but I got a dollar says that neon is back in next year as we seem to be suspiciously headed back to the 80's), these trends include combining a variety of rich, vibrant colors in solid color pieces.  eg.  Completely red dress or a completely yellow top with a complimentary blue pair of shorts.  Black, brown and navy are not invited this spring.




Photo from Harper's Bazaar: Gwen Stephani L.A.M.B collection.
3.  Crazy Prints:  Here is where I will be the most challenged.  These outfits look like Picasso paintings or jazz music...all random and unpredictable.  I feel too, as a bigger girl that wild prints make me look like a walking hot air balloon.  This look includes some animal prints, which I admit I find interesting.  Florals, over-sized paisley, and geometrics in all colors dazzled the runways this spring.  Most were found on dresses, so perhaps I can find one cool, flowy, printed summer dress I can wear.




Photo from Harpers Bazaar:  Michael Kors

4. Soft and Flowing: I think this is a bit of a carry over from last year. Descriptions of this trend go so far as to call them "Pajama Dressing". Don't go running out in your flannel night gown just yet...these looks are more silky or linen-y and are styled almost like moo-moos and harem pants.








Photo from Harpers Bazaar: Elie Tahari
 
5.  Retro-Style: Hints of the 70's and 80's are creeping in this spring.  Bell bottom jeans and funky wide brimmed hats are re-appearing on high fashion runways everywhere.  Fashion is definitely cyclic and almost everything comes back into style sooner or later...harem pants, case in point. 







6. White: When is white not "in"? Just remember white is disposable (especially for us stain prone gals) so budget accordingly!

7.  Espadrilles and Flats:  Thank god these shoes scream stability!  Sure you can still be "in" with sky high heels, but these babies are easy to walk in!  Endless.com is an easy to maneuver on-line shoe store with great selection.

No comments: