Sunday, January 30, 2011

Eyes That Pop!

Photo by Joelstuff V3.3d
Curling your eyelashes has always seemed like a waste of time to me.  I can't imagine that the angle of my lashes truly alters my appearance in any appreciable way.  I have never owned an eyelash curler.  I have tried them before, out of curiosity.  I am sure my technique was pathetic as my wariness of bringing this strange plier-like device towards my eyes prevented me from curling any more than the tips of my lashes.  I was unimpressed with the results, regardless.


Eye lash curlers swear by the benefits of stylish lashes.  One woman I am acquainted with even goes so far as to steadily hold her lashes in the desired curl with her mascara brush, whilst simultaneously blow drying it into place.  Imagine if you will, holding a blow dryer to your eye, for the sole purpose of achieving the perfectly styled lash.  Would not the resultant eye dryness be too stiff a penalty to pay for said outcome?  Certainly, to this woman, the benefits of curly lashes outweighed the possible damage to her vision.


Upon watching an episode of the highly entertaining, and incredibly caddy "Housewives of Atlanta", Cynthia Bailey, one of the more attractive housewives, was mortally embarassed, when her BFFs surprised her with an engagement party.  As she walked in the door, newly engaged, the first thing she exclaimed upon entering the room was "OMG, I took my eyelashes off in the car!  I can't believe you are all seeing me without my eyelashes!"  It seemed an odd focal point of the festivities, but apparently to Miss. Bailey, the state of her eyelashes trumped even her engagement!


I admit to wearing mascara.  I can even notice the difference when I don't.  A book-club chum would often notice too, stating that with just a simple application of mascara, I turned into a super-model.  I am pretty sure she was overstating the effect.  I became self conscious when I saw her though, as my volumized lashes seemed to set her off. 


I have learned more about eyelashes than I ever cared to know since receiving the InStyle "Ultimate Beauty Secrets" manual, which is the perfect how-to beauty guide for non-girly girls, from a friend and blog follower.  In this magazine, 185 quick tips are shared for the expert application of everything from lipstick to foundation, and yes, even the perfection of eye lash maximization. Troy Surratt, contributing make-up artist, states that "Curling your lashes is the easiest thing you can do to make your eyes look bigger".  Having the biggest eyes possible seems to be the ultimate goal.  Curling should occur prior to applying mascara, and three curling passes is the magic number for a "lasting curve".  Further advice states that the hair dryer should be used on the curler to warm it up prior to curling, rather than bringing it up to your eyes.  I should ethically share this information with my eye-lash drying friend as it might save her sight whilst not sacrificing her curvaceous lashes.


 False eye lashes reportedly really make the eyes "pop".  The most bestest eyes are thus large and popping. They should be applied after all of your make-up, but before your mascara.  Tammy Faye made the mistake of not matching her lashes to her look, which is recommended.  For example, for a more natural look, individual clusters are preferable.  More dramatic looks can be achieved by gluing full strips to your eyes and lining and mascara-ing the heck out of them.  People would be well advised to stand back from the resultant, dangerously popping eyes!


I dare not share the valuable tip of using a plastic spoon, rested by the lashes, whilst applying mascara, to prevent smudges and slip-ups to my blow-drying friend, lest I put her eye sight in greater peril!  In fact I feel it would be foolish to recommend that to anyone!  But who am I to question the logic of make-up artistry?  Another gem is to apply translucent powder to the lashes before applying mascara for even thicker eye expanding lashes!


I use brown mascara, which incidentally, is supposed to make the blue of my eyes "pop" too.  I apply two coats for volume and I steer my brush strokes in a way that separates and fans out my lashes.  I neither blow dry nor curl my lashes.  I now know that pumping my mascara brush in and out of the tube will dry out the mascara, and I shall remedy this error forthwith.  I do use clear mascara on my eyebrows to help them hold their shape during the day.  I usually only apply mascara to my upper lashes, which according to the Beauty Secrets manual is great for "day looks". 

Removing mascara can be accomplished with the use of an oil based remover, followed by cleansing with your regular facial cleanser.  I remain mystified as to how one removes false eyelashes, but I assume since they can be removed in the car (a la Miss. Bailey), the glue used to affix them must be easily torn free. 

I doubt that I will ever apply false eyelashes unless mine all fall out and I need an eyelash "wig" or if they were an appropriate accessory to a Halloween costume.  Were I to be spotted by my book-club friend wearing "falsies", I can only imagine her over the top reaction!  I am willing to settle for reduced eye popping. 

No comments: